Sunday, August 5, 2012

Good 'Ole Walmart and Healthy Living

No, healthy living is not apart of Walmart. I suppose if you walked around Walmart enough times you could consider it such, but each time my husband and I travel through those tempting isles we can't help but spend over what we planned to go in and get. This time, it was because of our changing health style.

My husband is a PENNY PINCHER! Matter of fact I think that alliteration, and cliche, fits him the best of any. But one of the glorious things about Walmart, are their prices, they're cheap! I mean their stuff is cheap, other brands are about the same price, maybe a little cheaper than other places, but what they sell solely, well it's cheap. So while we're there I had started to talk about purchasing another blender in which we could make fruit smoothies with fiber and protein powder for my breakfasts. Trying to live a healthier life! So we purchased the Ninja something another, and for others out there who purchase this device, be careful, the blades are indeed SUPER sharp. My finger can attest to it! This purchase was not planned. Talking about it a couple of times does not constitute it's automatically on a list.

Next, I was going to make some makeshift shorts with some sweatpants cut up. I thought of doing this because it's nearly impossible for a girl my size to find comfortable, cute and flattering shorts. While walking to the mens section with the sweat pants, I decided to just stop in the women's exercise part to just "see" what they had (I often use this tactic to be able to shop longer and maybe get more stuff, my hubs keeps his guard of me buying something down, while I shop and start to win him over to buying it). To my surprise they had some that fit. Now the selection was small, two pairs of shorts and a handful of shirts, but I found workout clothes at Walmart. One pair of shorts was four dollars! For my size, that's incredible! We even purchased me a sports bra, which I haven't owned in something like seven to eight years, a size when clothing I could wear was readily available. And with my workout clothing purchase, we even purchased him two pairs of shorts and a couple of tops that are really breathable. Also finally got him to buy himself some more regular clothes, this part is like pulling teeth, but because Walmart is cheaper by at least 40% to other clothing stores, he gave in!

That added a good 150 or so extra to our already large purchase. Normally I feel sick after spending 500 dollars at Walmart, and while the price still churns my stomach I can't help but know we are working at changing our lives. Granted the clothing I was wearing, blue jean shorts and one of the few cute T-shirts that still fit right, worked just fine for walking. Here's the thing, we want to do more. I'm shocked by how motivated I am to continue this life style we are creating together. It's a slow transition, but we're continuously working towards it. Even trying to find healthy ways to keep mexican food, my hubs FAVORITE, in our weekly menu options.

I'm beginning to change the way I look at food and that's a blessing! I have such an emotional attachment I'm surprised I haven't eaten myself into a roman yet. But I must admit, some of it's due to a blog I am increasingly beginning to read,  Can You Stay for Dinner?. Although her life is twice as interesting as mine, she was at the same weight and turning point that I find myself. It's quite inspiring.

In other news my HRM that I purchased is going to be here on Monday so hopefully another week of walking and you might find me beginning to run... gasp! I'm ready to continue my healthy style change. This is very important to me for the type of family I want to raise. Another thing is my husband and I are getting close to wanting to start trying to have a baby and I will be healthy for my little ones to give them the best start in life!! Overall, I'm really excited! :) Here's to another healthy day of living!

No comments:

Post a Comment